Sunday, October 14, 2012

Dogs 'Aint Heavy; They're My Brothers




TODAY, October 4th, is World Animal Day.
Its that special annual occasion to stop, reflect and celebrate the immense contribution of all forms of animal life to human life and our society as well as to respect, cherish and protect all animals.

For me personally, no other animal has impacted my life more than dogs. And thats the reason why its always a never ending love affair story with my dogs and me all the time! 

In my more than half a century of living life with a disability since birth my interaction with canines have taught me some of the most insightful and invaluable lessons of life.

Here are some of those significant lessons taught by my trusty canines:

·       Think outside the box:  Thats literally what Vai my eight week old Rottweiler did when I got him. He ripped open the box with his puppy paws that he was placed in and leapt into my arms, licking me all over my face. It was great for once to have a stranger not being spooked by my wheelchair or terrified of getting my disability by close contact with me.
(Cant say the same, unfortunately, for what happened last week at my favourite mall. A father snatched his child out of the lift as soon as I entered it. The child would probably grow up being terrified of handicapped people for the rest of his life!).
·       No bad dogs . . . : Just like disabilities, working dogs such as Rotties, Dobermans (Dobies), German Shepherd Dogs (GSDs), etc also suffer stigma because of ignorance. I was warned by some people even veterinarians that Vai was the wrong choice as he would drag me off (my) wheelchair or have (me) for supper. But the truth was in all the 13 wonderful years I had had him since his death, Vai was the best mistake I had ever made in my life. He was the gentlest and kindest huggy bear that I ever had. By caring for him, I inadvertently learnt to care for myself too and take care of my body parts that I had no feelings of whatsoever. Pressure sores because of negligence not only started healing up but were kept at bay as a result. The only fault Vai had is that he never realised his growing size. He kept trying to leap on my lap again and snooze in his favourite nap spot which is under my wheelchair. But it was too small for the lovable bear-size of a dog.
·       He aint disabled. . . hes my brother: I can recall literally hundreds of moments that my dogs made me laugh and uncannily touched my life over the years. Like the time when Vai saved me from an army of frenzied ants all biting my paralysed legs in a park without me knowing that I had rested them on an ants nest. Then there was a time when Vai woke me up when I unknowingly messed up my bed because of an upset tummy. Who can forget the time when Biman II, my GSD, amazingly found the keys of my house and handed it over to me at the gate after I locked myself out! Or the time when my present GSD Biman III ran out of my car in an open field. He was barely eight weeks old then and needed to take an uncontrollable pee. As soon as it was over, he ran all the way back to my car and leapt in, much to my great relief. How a pup of such a young age could understand the fact that I couldnt run out after him totally befuddles my intelligence.  Then theres Reba, my Sheltie. Ill always be grateful to her for spotting a particularly nasty pressure sore developing on my foot just in the nick of time. I was rushed into surgery and hospitalised for nine days. Had it been any later, I would be a part amputee by now. Of course, the real star in my home right now is a nearly two-year old Dobie named Zhar. Hes the perfect assistant that any wheelchair-bound person can ever dream of. He retrieves virtually anything that drops on the floor or anywhere. From shaving creams and combs to portable urinals and even business cards Zhars the dog for the job. All one need to say is service and the 28½ inch in height (from the withers) and 43kg Doberman will leap at once to its feet and be at your command. Hes better than any genie in a bottle any day!     
·        Live and let die . . . and life goes on!  The hardest part in having love affairs with animals is during parting. Ive had to put some of my best canine companions to sleep. The majority of them because of cancer and the last one a male Golden Retriever named Soo to old age. He became paralysed and unable to eat. As responsible pet owners it is our duty to ensure that our best friends do not suffer when the time comes to say our painful goodbyes. Its the very least we can do for them after all that they have selflessly done for us. My canines have taught me that life goes on nonetheless with new angels with tails waiting in line to come into our lives to step into their special roles where their predecessors left behind until we all meet again across the rainbow bridge.
A blessed World Animal Day to everyone!

         
The End

PET+BLOGSPOT is the ONLINE BLOG of the Malaysian Animal-Assisted Therapy for the Disabled and Elderly Association or Petpositive. Our stories are CURRENT, ACCURATE and RELIABLE. We offer both local and foreign news on animals, disability and the elderly. PET+BLOGSPOT was first established in October 2007. Our hits since then are now 150,000 and ever increasing! PET+BLOGSPOT is updated daily. Kindly note that views expressed in PET+BLOGSPOT are not necessarily those of PETPOSITIVE. You may also visit our Webpage by browsing: www.petpositive.com.my You can also find us in Facebook under PETPOSITIVE EMPOWERMENT. Please sign up as a FOLLOWER of this Blog if you haven't done so already in order to show us your kind support for our work. Thank you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Heard about the happenings in recently about councils entering houses to catch dogs, reports being made and even a press conference of some kind because of all this.

Sigh..... never ending story! Irresponsible people throw rubbish, council didn't follow procedure and clear rubbish properly, opportunistic and hypocritical people get involved and they all end up slamming each other or among themselves! Dunno if I should cry or laugh!

I know this so called rescuer that caught a dog, sent it for spaying and later released it in the same area. And although she continued feeding the animal for months, recently the inevitable happened. Yes, the dog she was feeding or so called "managing" was hit by a vehicle and died horribly! Do I have to carry on?

You wanna go save strays? GIVE THEM A HOME INSTEAD OF BEING A HYPOCRITE!