Friday, April 19, 2013

Wheel Power: Eating Into Others' Space



IN my lifetime job of raising awareness about disability and the people who have them, I've come across various kinds of responses from able-bodied persons. 

One of the best I recall was an email I got from an anonymous writer who was a Datin. 

After reading in Wheel Power about some of the terrible inconveniences that disabled drivers have to put up with when their special car parks are taken up by non-disabled persons, she wrote: 

"Dear Anthony, I'm ashamed to tell you that I am one of those people who also grab the temptation to park in a disabled parking spot when I see it empty – even though I am not a handicapped driver.

"I always used to think it is only for a short while and it wouldn't matter to anyone. However, your stories in your column pricked my conscience to realise how incredibly self-centred and selfish I really am whenever I do this. Never again! The best thing is to always leave it empty if you are not disabled."

Although the Datin never revealed her full identity, I admired her, nonetheless. She possessed the guts to write in with her sincere apology.

It's one thing to make mistakes. But it takes a great person to own up for one's wrong and promise to never repeat it. 

But sadly not everyone is as humble or remorseful when they do wrong as I found out recently.

And the situation left me with no choice but to get proactive as a user with a disability to make things better.

A close elderly friend's therapy dog was rushed to the veterinary clinic a couple of weeks ago. I got there as soon as I could to give him and his pet some moral support. 

Fortunately, the Petaling Jaya City Council (MBPJ) had built an excellent wheelchair ramp to access the rows of shops in the area. It came complete with a covered car park to protect handicapped drivers from the elements.

But alas, when my friend who drove me there and I reached our destination, a non-disabled driver's car was parked smacked right into the special slot.

This despite the fact that there were two loud signboards clearly indicating that the parking was only for the handicapped.

The situation got worse when it started raining cats and dogs.

After a few minutes, we saw someone run into the car with an umbrella. He had obviously seen my car with a disabled sticker on it.

But instead of clearing his car off, he only moved it a few inches so that we could squeeze our vehicle into the spot - leaving me to get out in my wheelchair where the rain took a beating at me.
The car park was designed for only one vehicle.

After much difficulty and getting part of my body drenched, I managed to get into the vet's clinic where I found the culprit - a physically fit man in his late 20's - sitting cool as if nothing had happened.

When I tried to talk to him nicely about removing his car at once, he refused, arguing with me that he had "given me enough space" to park my vehicle.

It wasn't until I warned him politely that I would call MBPJ to fine or have his car towed away immediately when he dashed out and removed his car.

I was befuddled as to what else the man needed to embarrass him than to have a person in a wheelchair sitting right in front of him and to tell him that he had stolen a car park that was meant for him and persons like him!

A similar situation happened a few days later.
It was at a local shopping centre when I came across a restaurant that stacked more than a dozen of their unused chairs and tables on the side of a ramp that was built for wheelchair access.

They effectively prevented wheelchairs from going into other shops in the vicinity whilst the able-bodied were not blocked because they could use the steps.

Rather than to go home feeling depressed and defeated over the incident, I decided to stay back and fight.

I called the manager of the outfit as well as the management of the shopping complex to have the barriers removed immediately. 

It was unbelievable as to what happened next.

The restaurant manager started to blame the shopping complex management for not "informing" him of his violation.

Would such an obvious hindrance to customers in wheelchairs be something that needed "reminders" or "instructions" from the top?

What was worse is that there was ample room in the restaurant for them to "store" their equipment without having to block the disabled ramp in the first place.

The silver lining over the whole incident is that the shopping centre management has decided to work with MBPJ to come up with an audit access of all their stores in their place.

They will also work out a plan to educate their business retail centres on how to become more disabled friendly to special needs customers in the near future.  

The End.



PET+BLOGSPOT is the ONLINE BLOG of the Malaysian Animal-Assisted Therapy for the Disabled and Elderly Association or Petpositive. Our stories are CURRENT, ACCURATE and RELIABLE. We offer both local and foreign news on animals, disability and the elderly. PET+BLOGSPOT was first established in October 2007. Our hits since then are now 150,000 and ever increasing! PET+BLOGSPOT is updated daily. Kindly note that views expressed in PET+BLOGSPOT are not necessarily those of PETPOSITIVE. You may also visit our Webpage by browsing: www.petpositive.com.my You can also find us in Facebook under PETPOSITIVE EMPOWERMENT. Please sign up as a FOLLOWER of this Blog if you haven't done so already in order to show us your kind support for our work. Thank you!

No comments: