Saturday, January 26, 2013

The Amazing Doberman Called Zhar



DOBE ACE ZHAR, my service dog in training, turned two years old on Monday.

The amazing Doberman was treated to a small but wonderful private party the day before in the very home in Petaling Jaya where the black and rust coloured pup was born.

The high tea event was attended by some notable guests. They included a couple of local research scientists, a doctor, an engineer and a plumber – all of whom who were ardent believers of the power of animal-assisted therapy.

If dogs could only read and talk, there is so much that we, as pet lovers, would like to say to them.

Here’s a letter that I scribbled out to Zhar on the eve of his birthday which I would like to share with you.

I hope that it will give you all a precious insight into what and how much animals can contribute to the lives of people with disabilities.

“Dearest Zhar, my life simply hasn’t been the same since you came to live with me almost two years ago.

“It was only after I collected you and started driving back, that I realized that you and I (completely paralysed from my waist down) were alone in the car with no able-bodied person tagging along.

“What if the car stopped midway? Or if there was an accident? Or a road bully or snatch thief confronted us?    

“Usual excuses like these that kept me stuck at home didn’t work this time. I was so excited about having you come and share my life with me.

“And even though you threw up all over the back seat during your first car ride – and I had to clean it up afterwards – it was really all my pleasure considering all that you’ve done for me over the past 24 months.

“Like giving me friendly licks and staying by my side when I had to clean up my own “accidents” in bed and in my wheelchair because of my weak bladder and bowel moments.

“You never once judged me – laughed at me or put me down because of my human weaknesses.

“Rather, you fully accepted me – my disabilities and all. Even now when I am older and markedly slower, you never insist that I hurry up or expect me to move at your lightning pace.

“You wait endlessly on until I guide you to my bathroom for you to ease yourself.

“Despite my handicap, you insist that it’s when I feed you that your kibbles are tastiest. Or it’s always me – and not my able-bodied chums – who makes your best playmate.

“Thanks for devising the special game called, “Dobie-style Catch”, where you run off with the ball and then run back to me and past me so that I can “catch you” each time. And every time my wheelchair stays stationary during the game until you or I are tired out.  

“Thank you also for retrieving all the necessaries for me like my portable urinal when nature calls to my comb, toothpaste, coins, keys and shoes.

“Your antics in doing this sometimes way past midnight leaves me in stitches. And this is good especially when I am down or depressed for a bit.

“But dear doggy, I would rather you leave some of my valuables like my watch or my Galaxy Note II alone – although I realize that my very life may depend on your help especially with the latter one day should I fall down on the floor and especially in the bathroom.  

“Developing pressure sores used to be a nightmarish experience until you came along.
“Instead of using a mirror four times a day to look at trouble areas in my body, your trusty nose with a penchant to zero in on wounds together with your plain “busy-body” character is a true godsend.
“Thanks to your inborn skills, I now get immediate treatment for them by a doctor. 

“Hugging you and stroking you often also helps speed my wound healing. It also lowers my blood pressure and stress levels.   

“Did I also tell you dear boy that people look at me differently now whenever I am with you? Gone are those stares of sympathy now effectively replaced with positivity when they ask, “Hey, that’s a handsome looking dog you have there with you. Did you train him yourself?

“If only they knew the truth Zhar. If only they knew!

“Happy birthday my wonderful Zhar. Here’s to many, many more joyous adventures with you.”     
The End

COMING ON MONDAY: DID DOGS EVOLVE FROM OUR RUBBISH DUMP?

PET+BLOGSPOT is the ONLINE BLOG of the Malaysian Animal-Assisted Therapy for the Disabled and Elderly Association or Petpositive. Our stories are CURRENT, ACCURATE and RELIABLE. We offer both local and foreign news on animals, disability and the elderly. PET+BLOGSPOT was first established in October 2007. Our hits since then are now 150,000 and ever increasing! PET+BLOGSPOT is updated daily. Kindly note that views expressed in PET+BLOGSPOT are not necessarily those of PETPOSITIVE. You may also visit our Webpage by browsing: www.petpositive.com.my You can also find us in Facebook under PETPOSITIVE EMPOWERMENT. Please sign up as a FOLLOWER of this Blog if you haven't done so already in order to show us your kind support for our work. Thank you!

No comments: