Saturday, September 22, 2012

WHEEL POWER: POWERED BY CANINES



WEEKEND VIEW: WHEEL POWER
I had a terrific time last weekend at one of my favourite pet projects again: canines.

I delightfully found myself in the company of more than 300 dogs and about 1,500 people.

We were at the Malaysian Kennel Association’s international dog show championships that were put up all in one place: in a shopping mall in Ampang, Selangor. 

There were four events running concurrently over two days. As many as five judges from Australia, India, Philippines, Singapore and Sweden presided over the occasion.
All the canines with their owners were vying to be selected for at least two upcoming prestigious dog competition destinations in the US and the UK.

The notable showcase was launched by Datuk Dr Abdul Aziz Jamaluddin, the Director-General of the Veterinary Services Department of Malaysia (DVS).

I was invited by the organisers in my capacity as chairman of the Canine Advisory Team of the Petaling Jaya City Council.

I was also there as president of Petpositive – a national animal-assisted therapy society for people with disabilities and the elderly.   

I was simply thrilled about the invitation. My wheelchair was clearly not a blind spot for any of them.
Despite of the fact that I have not been able to walk for more than forty years now, the organisers chose to look at my abilities and what I was able to contribute through my experience with dogs and the local councils.

In fact, as I mingled with the crowd during the event many came up to me rather than shy away from me.

Quite a few of them who approached me told me that they just wanted to tell me that they were inspired to see me there in my wheelchair – that my disability didn’t stop me from having fun.

What a most encouraging remark to hear rather than asking a disabled person what is “wrong” with them at first meetings which some people annoyingly do.

Why should anything be “wrong” with anyone just because he or she sits in a wheelchair? Or how does someone continue with a conversation with a person after such a remark?     

Some of the participants asked me why I had not brought at least one of my service dogs with me. They had no trouble naming all four of them and what they do best for me because of this column.    

As for the canine participants, they were waggy-tails all the way!

Curious at first, probably for coming in contact with a “chair on wheels” for the first time in their doggy lives, they quickly settled down with generous licks of understanding.

And funny thing that despite being surrounded by scores of German Shepherd Dogs, Rottweilers, Dobermans and even Bull Terriers that our society has unfairly branded under the “dangerous” and “banned dogs” list, it’s “amazing” how I managed to “survive” that “ordeal” without even sustaining so much as a scratch!

In his talk with the press after the launching, Dr Aziz brought home the point that dogs are never the problem but errant owners are.  

He stressed that more and more people, especially the disabled and the elderly, should explore the use of canines for animal-assisted therapy. He said that the DVS is fully behind such a move.

Dr Aziz said it has been proven over and over again how the elderly, infirm and disabled have greatly benefit from the interaction with their pets in order to achieve a higher quality of life for themselves.

However, he was also quick to point out that every dog, no matter what size or breed comes with a heavy responsibility. No one should think of owning a dog if he or she is not prepared for all the hard work that comes along with it.

Dr Aziz said that whilst the use of dogs should be encouraged for health benefits, no one should keep dogs purely to protect their home without showing them love and care.    

“Keeping a dog should never be done on impulse. They may look cute and cuddly at first but it is not at all like buying a fish from an aquarium,” he warned.

After the press conference, I followed the DG and the organisers around the performance rings and the exhibition area to meet dog owners and their canine participants.

It was there when we stopped by and met Bosnia. He was a huge and magnificent Rottweiler belonging to a Mr Chan Oi Keng.

It was an irresistible moment as we patted and played with the Rottie, snapping pictures of the wonderful scene.

Indeed, it was a truly insightful day for everyone.

Not only did the canines come out as champs; there was also a definite triumph and victory for awareness over ignorance and prejudice for everyone that day – people with disabilities included!    
The End


PET+BLOGSPOT is the ONLINE BLOG of the Malaysian Animal-Assisted Therapy for the Disabled and Elderly Association or Petpositive. Our stories are CURRENT, ACCURATE and RELIABLE. We offer both local and foreign news on animals, disability and the elderly. PET+BLOGSPOT was first established in October 2007. Our hits since then are now 150,000 and ever increasing! PET+BLOGSPOT is updated daily. Kindly note that views expressed in PET+BLOGSPOT are not necessarily those of PETPOSITIVE. You may also visit our Webpage by browsing: www.petpositive.com.my You can also find us in Facebook under PETPOSITIVE EMPOWERMENT. Please sign up as a FOLLOWER of this Blog if you haven't done so already in order to show us your kind support for our work. Thank you!

No comments: