Thursday, February 16, 2012

Taking Life One Day At A Time


FOR much of his life, Donald Tan Chee Leng was the envy of most of his friends and relatives. 

The former electronic skills training consultant and scuba diving instructor was able to virtually do anything and everything that he wanted.

Donald had very little to complain about.

He seldom fell sick – rarely had a cough or a cold – and would take medical leaves only once or twice in a couple of years.

But that all suddenly changed when he turned 51 years of age two years ago.
And it was all because of a very rare condition called Microscopic Polyarteritis Nodosa.

“The disease was so unknown that it caused quite a stir in the government hospital when I sought for its diagnosis,” laughed Donald in a telephone interview with Wheel Power last week.

He went on to explain how the rogue immune cells surreptitiously began attacking his body part by part.

Strange things started to happen to Donald.

He started experiencing frequent bouts of heartburn and indigestion that lasted more than a month.

Then he became extremely sensitive to cold. Even on very hot and sunny days he couldn’t stop himself from shivering.

However, Donald who has somehow avoided doctors all his life still didn’t think of seeking medical treatment.

“I knew that something was seriously wrong with me and I needed medical intervention. But I guess my avoidance was somehow thinking that if I ignored it, perhaps it might somehow take care of itself,” admitted Donald. 

But unfortunately for him, the problem didn’t go away.

When Donald’s body started to swell up from his chest downwards and he had trouble walking, he took his wife’s advice and finally went to see their family doctor.

He was eventually started on a special dialysis treatment called “continuous ambulatory peritoneal dialysis” or CAPD that he could do on his own at home. It has to be done for as many as four times a day. Each session takes up to 30 minutes.

Even though Donald’s condition looks bleak and there is no cure, he has to continue with the treatment for the rest of his life.

On top of this, Donald’s eyesight is also failing him fast. 

However, not one to say “die” just yet, Donald is taking his various challenges in his stride.

“I have accepted my fate and have made my peace with God. I am now concentrating on living for each moment of my life to the best of my ability,” he says.
   

He uses a wheelchair and at other times hobbles around with his foot to get around in the house.

Donald says life became increasingly more challenging for him when he was no longer able to dress himself up independently and use the bathroom without help.

Going outside for dinner or social outings is also frustrating as it is very hard to find wheelchair-friendly venues.

Most restaurants and buildings do not provide wheelchair ramps. So Donald has to decline invitations to such places each time.

He, however, urges the authorities to ensure that public buildings provide such facilities so that people like him can also enjoy normal events like everyone else.

“There is no reason why people in wheelchairs should be expected to stay indoors,” he says.

Donald says his best friends are now his loyal dogs which he used to show and train as a passion.  

They are two German Shepherd Dogs name Olay and Jacqui.

“They are just the exact ‘distractions’ that my doctors ordered to keep me focused on positive things instead of letting my mind wander and think of the negative,” says Donald with a beaming smile. 

“Olay watches me like a hawk. She will sit with me at once when I fall down until I am back on my feet again.
“Jacquie, meanwhile, will be barking her head off until someone in the house comes to my aid.”

A newcomer named “Angel” – a white stray puppy - that invited itself into Donald’s home during the recent Chinese New Year holidays is now the top attention grabber among the pack.

“Angel just makes me laugh at her never-ending antics and keeps us all entertained not knowing what she will be up to next. 

“Even at only four months of age, she is a terrific problem-solver.

“She will just get out of any situation just so that she can join us the whole family at the dining table.

“My dogs keep me company all the time. I enjoy grooming and bathing them  

“Pets are indeed the best companions for people like me who are alone at home most of the time.

“I talk to them and they talk back to me in their own language,” concludes Donald.  

THE END

PET+BLOGSPOT is the ONLINE BLOG of the Malaysian Animal-Assisted Therapy for the Disabled and Elderly Association or Petpositive. Our stories are CURRENT, ACCURATE and RELIABLE. We offer both local and foreign news on animals, disability and the elderly. PET+BLOGSPOT was first established in October 2007. Our hits since then are now 150,000 and ever increasing! PET+BLOGSPOT is updated daily. Kindly note that views expressed in PET+BLOGSPOT are not necessarily those of PETPOSITIVE. You may also visit our Webpage by browsing: www.petpositive.com.my You can also find us in Facebook under PETPOSITIVE EMPOWERMENT. Please sign up as a FOLLOWER of this Blog if you haven't done so already in order to show us your kind support for our work. Thank you!

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Mr Anthony,

I’m interested to know your insights on something I read on the MDDB facebook page.

C.A.N. to MDDB: Hi There... I need your help in pointing me to someone who can rescue a dog in Seri Kembangan area in Selangor. Just called SPCA Selangor and they told me to contact the local council as they are not taking in anymore dogs for now. If i were to call the council, they might terminate the dog.

It’s a stray, i believe (there is a collar with no license and the dog is clean), local breed roaming near the house for 2 days now. Yesterday, we fed the dog but after finishing its meal, it almost attacked us. Earlier this morning at approximately 7am, the dog started barking and almost attacked our neighbour who was supposed to go to work. Somehow, my neighbour managed to get into his car. His friend then came out and threw a huge brick at the dog. It hit the dog's leg and the dog started limping. The moment the dog was down, the guy wanted to run the dog over in his car, but thankfully the dog managed to move away.

Do you know anyone that can come over and rescue the dog? I am afraid to keep the dog in my compound because the dog's behaviour is unpredictable. Quite concerned about this dog because I’m sure when my neighbour returns and sees the dog, they might attempt to hurt the dog again.

Do let me know if you have any suggestions. Thank you and i appreciate any help from your end.

Anonymous said...

C.A.N.: Hi... Just saw the dog. He is still limping and there is a small wound at his leg. The dog is now charging towards passing vehicles.

L.C.: It’s very fierce?

C.A.N.: For a minute, the dog is calm and it wags its tails at us, but suddenly for no reason, it will start to growl...very unpredictable

C.A.N.: We feel that the dog is protecting our house...maybe because we fed him last night. He seems to be chasing vehicles that are passing just in front of our house only

MDDB: Let him into your compound and have some food handy. I don't think he is fierce - I think he wags his tail wanting to be friendly and then fears that you are going to whack him up.

C.A.N.: This guy is not letting us anywhere near him. He just chased some children till they had to climb over their house gates... we would appreciate if someone could come over and help before neighbours could call the council

S.P.: Is this the poor fella? :(

C.A.N.: Yes sis, MDDB suggested contacting SPCA on Monday to catch the dog first since they don’t deal with fierce dogs. From there, SPCA will get in touch with MDDB. Just hoping that none of the neighbours will harm the dog by then. Keeping all my fingers and toes crossed...

I stay in Cheras area and am faced with a similar situation. There’s a black stray dog that sleeps under an abandoned car at side of the road near the junction to my house. It has been chasing motorcyclists and people very often and I too, fear for the safety of my children. Few months ago the dog actually chased and bit an Indian grass cutter on his bicycle! Who should I call?

Anonymous said...

I know that if I call the DBKL, the dog will surely be PTS. According to the Facebook, the MDDB says that they do not deal with fierce dogs and have pushed the problem back to the SPCA. I think the SPCA also would not do anything since they also seemed to suggest that this is a council problem. Why are they pushing the job back and forth?

I just read that the MDDB does not like the council dog catchers catching dogs to be PTS, especially when no one claims them. The MDDB also discourages people from calling the council when faced with a similar problem. In fact, quite recently, the MDDB also criticized the SPCA Penang openly for euthanizing a dog that was supposedly old and sick. The MDDB collects a lot of public funds but refuses to help when a problem arises as in the facebook entry. Instead they ask people to settle the problem ourselves. How are we to catch a dog if it is so aggressive? Anyway, I also heard one of the leaders of MDDB is a woman who is working in The Star newspaper named Wani Muthiah. In their page, it is has been stated that they owe some vets money for treatments and their biggest bill is RM 45,000! Yet, I do not see them being accountable by posting receipts on how public funds are being spent. I think their excuse was that it was too troublesome to do so. Anyway, are the MDDB a non profit organization like the SPCA Selangor which is more responsible? How can we depend on them if they keep asking for donations but are not accountable for the monies collected and but also push the ball around when faced with a situation similar to mine?

Anonymous said...

On the interesting side, I’ve just read that there’s another animal group called Malaysian Independent Animal Rescue that’s spearheaded by this kind and caring lady from Kajang by the name of Puspa Rani. Her group actually went on to rescue a large number of animals that was to be euthanized, from the DBKL pound last week! They deserve to be commended for this! Puspa Rani and her group MIAR seems to be more level headed than the latter. Going through her facebook page, I also found out that she exposed the Kajang council and their private contractors for animal cruelty. There’s even a video posted on the incident titled Bloody Cruel Local Councils - https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10150303103697465&set=t.719267464&type=3&theater

Anyway, Mr Anthony, could you help by getting the DBKL council to help catch the fierce dog outside my house in Cheras and perhaps for the lady in Sri Kembangan? This her facebook profile. I also will PM you later today to give you the location of the black dog in my area. After the DBKL catches the dog, could you also help contact Puspa Rani to come and collect the dogs from the DBKL pound?

Thanks for your help!

Madam Sylvia Cheng (Cheras)

Unknown said...

Dear Madam Sylvia Cheng, the best person to decide on the situation and the fate of the dog is you.

The dog is obviously endangering others - as well as itself - and this situation cannot go on.

I would suggest you try calling SPCA Selangor's inspector to see if they can do something about it.

If not, your best best is to call the DBKL. They should respond to you quickly as you are the affected party.

If the dog has to be put down, you have no choice. Can you think of a better solution?

I am glad that you are beginning to find out that some of the animal NGOs are all talk and no action.

They can't be fooling people forever.

All the best to you.