Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Jogger Attacked By Dogs

Dogs don't attack unless they are provoked? Here's an interesting story from overseas that says a different story to such claims often from doting animal lovers: 

 

Jogger who lost foot details terrifying dog attack

The 62-year-old man who lost his left foot when two pit bulls mauled him at a South Shore park earlier this month said he felt "close to death" during the attack but was able to speak publicly for the first time Tuesday and describe the gruesome ordeal.

"At this time I’m feeling pretty good...make that very good," Joseph Finley told WGN during an interview at John H. Stroger Jr. Hospital of Cook County Tuesday where he is being treated. He said rehabilitators are “working hard to get me back.’’

He recounted the frightening morning near Rainbow Beach Park Jan. 2. It started normally with his daily run about 4 a.m., but as he began his third lap near 78th Street, it quickly turned into a nightmare.

“I turned around and there were two dogs there,’’ he said. “At that point I’m thinking, well, I don’t know exactly how I’m going, you know, to deal with this…I don’t know if they’re going to be violent or nonviolent.’’

He turned around and began to run. But the dogs followed him, growling and barking.

“They then started to attack me,’’ he said.

He tried to fight back by using weights on his arms to hit them and by kicking them with his legs, but they became more agitated and continued to gnaw into his legs and feet.

“One grabbed this foot here and the other one grabbed that foot and leg,’’ he said. “They were in full bloom of attack.’’

As they ripped into him, Finley hoped he could stay strong enough to keep standing.

“I knew if I fell down…it was going to be disastrous. But as fate would have it, they were able to get me to the ground,’’ Finley said.

Finley began screaming for help while the dogs were "having a feast.''

"I saw nothing but blood, just pure blood. I didn’t really know how to handle that but I knew I had to do something," he said.  "My main objective through all of this was to not let this one over here get to my neck."

At some point he could not feel one of his legs, but he said he “didn’t really care anymore,’’ and was determined to not allow them to tear into his throat.

As he became weaker and weaker, and was bleeding heavily and beginning to lose consciousness, he made a last-ditch effort and hit one of the dogs, hard, with a weight.

“I hit him as hard as I could,’’ and the dog fell back three or four feet.  Finally he heard voices and saw lights and knew the police had come.

“I heard somebody say 'Get away of him, dogs...get away from him,'" Finley said. After about a minute and a half, the officers realized the dogs were not letting go.

“I heard them say 'Well, the only thing we can do now is shoot them,'" Finley said.

He remembers hearing four or five shots, and the tugs on his legs gradually stopping.  He said he felt himself "fading," very short of breath and "just about that close to death."

"It was a bad experience. A very bad experience," Finley said.

“There should be something done about things like this. It’s not right at all that you can’t walk outside without the fear of being attacked by wild and vicious animals.’’

chicagobreaking@tribune.com

PET+BLOGSPOT is the ONLINE BLOG of the Malaysian Animal-Assisted Therapy for the Disabled and Elderly Association or Petpositive. Our stories are CURRENT, ACCURATE and RELIABLE. We offer both local and foreign news on animals, disability and the elderly. PET+BLOGSPOT was first established in October 2007. Our hits since then are now 150,000 and ever increasing! PET+BLOGSPOT is updated daily. Kindly note that views expressed in PET+BLOGSPOT are not necessarily those of PETPOSITIVE. You may also visit our Webpage by browsing: www.petpositive.com.my You can also find us in Facebook under PETPOSITIVE EMPOWERMENT. Please sign up as a FOLLOWER of this Blog if you haven't done so already in order to show us your kind support for our work. Thank you!

No comments: