Thursday, July 01, 2010

End Of The Road For Anthony Thanasayan


THIS is it; folks: The end of the road for me as councillor for the city of Petaling Jaya (MBPJ), in the glorious state of Selangor.

I am told that the positions of all local councillors in the state will cease to exist next Tuesday.

A new list, comprising of old and new faces, will be sworn in on Wednesday.
And from then on, they will carry out their duties for the next 12 months.

At the time of writing this article, I do not know if I will be in – or out – of that special list.

However, all I can tell you is that the experience of serving the people of Petaling Jaya (PJ) has largely been an incredibly learning and challenging task for me.

It was exactly on this day today, two years ago, when the council’s wheelchair-friendly van arrived at my home to take me to the swearing-in ceremony.

If anyone had previously told me that such a day like that would come to me one day, I would have simply laughed it off.

I recall even pinching myself several times during the journey in the van to the council to convince myself that it was not all just a dream. 

There was good reason for my cynicism.

Here was a local council that I had serious issues with for nearly all of my life.

As a resident with a disability in PJ, it had virtually ignored all of my special needs as a boy in a wheelchair.

I was forced to stay indoors, “trapped like a prisoner” within my home because the city – which was a town then – had totally disregarded my basic needs in its infrastructure. 

As a result, I couldn’t go to school, or play with my friends in the neighbourhood.  I couldn’t even visit the park that was only a stone’s throw away from my house because the PJ town council obviously thought that someone like me didn’t exist. Or worse, wasn’t worth the effort.

(That still unfortunately is the sad state-of-affairs I must say even today with many of the other local councils; not only in Selangor, but across the nation).  

The pavements were too high for my wheelchair; park’s entrances too narrow, toilets totally inaccessible, etc., etc.

And so when I became councillor, these were the first things that I targeted.

The landscape department was the first to quickly move into action. They completely changed the park’s entrance into a wheelchair-friendly one.

They came up with a clever design in the shape of a U-turn that allows wheelchairs and prams in but effectively keeps motorcycles out.

Next it was the engineering team’s turn to show their support.

We managed to build a universal-designed pavement of about 500-metres long along the popular Jalan Gasing road. By doing so it became the first of its kind in the country.

Some people (needless to say who weren’t elderly or disabled) complained that it was a waste of money and effort. The changes in the park also drew a similar reaction.

They obviously were not aware of the fact that the numbers of disabled people in Malaysia were only increasing rather than getting lesser.

They failed to see that in the next generation there would be more senior citizens than children and that our nation would be an elderly nation with ten percent of the population falling under this category where disability will be a major factor.

With such statistics, this was the opportune moment to start building a city in preparation of that time.      

Sure enough, the projects virtually opened up the floodgates for a special group of people that have been frequently marginalised by our society in the way we plan our towns and cities.

Elderly residents aided by their caregivers are now able to access the parks in their wheelchairs and walking sticks for some exercise and fresh air.

Pregnant mothers and others with prams, senior citizens, blind people and even children, can now walk conveniently and safely to the nearby shops, a church and a temple – as well as a public park that the special pavement covers. 

More recently – and not to be left out – the MBPJ Planning Department undertook a most exemplary effort.

They decided to go out to the homes – and into them – in order to seek out the disabled and the elderly in the poorest parts of PJ and offer assistance.

In the middle of next month, a special team will be literally knocking on the doors of their homes to see in what areas of help they require.

They will be helped to register with the relevant bodies both at the local and federal levels for financial aid. Those requiring medical treatment will also get the assistance they need. 

For the bedridden, wheelchairs will be provided. Best of all, renovations to their toilets will be done at MBPJ’s expense to make it disabled-friendly.

Thank you MBPJ – as well as the powers-that-be – for giving me this golden opportunity to serve as a councillor.

The End

TOMORROW IN PET+BLOGSPOT: Who Will Be The Next Local Councillors? 


PET+BLOGSPOT is the official online blog of the Malaysian Animal-Assisted Therapy for the Disabled and Elderly Association (Petpositive). Our contents are ACCURATE, RELIABLE and THE LATEST. We offer both local and foreign news on animals, disability and the elderly. PET+BLOGSPOT was first established in October 2007. Our hits since then is 40,000 hits and counting. PET+BLOGSPOT is updated daily. Kindly take note that views expressed in this blog are not necessarily those of PETPOSITIVE. You may also visit our Webpage by browsing: www.petpositive.com.my

2 comments:

temenggong said...

Well done Tony. I hope they retain you.

Sudhashini sita said...

This is a new beginning, Anthony.
Though you were robbed of your childhood, you show genuine care by spending your time with the disabled and elderly.

Your honest storytelling and wisdom in writing has touched the hearts of many readers, and your willingness to share your life through your work that has made you much loved.


Best wishes and many Blessings in all your endeavours