Tuesday, February 23, 2010

So I'm the dog killer now!

aNt's aNgle:

SO I'M THE BAD GUY NOW. 

That pretty much appears to be the view, I'm afraid, of some people who pride themselves in being called "dog lovers". 

These are a handful who obviously flew into a fit when I REFUSED to label and condemn all the people in Majlis Perbandaran Selayang (MPS) as DOG KILLERS!

They must have been all the more incensed considering the fact that I serve as Chairman of Petaling Jaya City Council (MBPJ)'s and Klang Municipal Council (MPK)'s Canine Advisory Team (CAT) committees. 

Then, there is also my voluntary position as President of PETPOSITIVE, Malaysia's nationally-recognised animal-assisted therapy society.  

One writer who rather surreptitiously hiding his or her identity from me called me a "sellout." The person even went to the extent of saying he/she would not donate to our society anymore.

Well, to this man - or woman - who I wish had possessed the decency of at least revealing his or her identity (so that I can know for sure if it was really a donor), let me say that if by not participating in your game makes me a "sellout", then so be it, dear friend.

Whatever happened to "innocent until proven guilty"?

It is never my practice to make sweeping judgments on individuals or institutions for that matter until I have had the chance to check out the facts first.

Of course, I never used to do this before because I was only a child then. But now I'm all grown up and am expected to act and respond with prudence and impeccable responsibility. 

And yes, of course, what has happened at the MPS pound is something that all human beings ought to be concerned about.

No dog - or human being  for that matter - should ever be kept in the condition of some of the animals depicted in the pictures.

But pardon me, - and I don't wish to be rude or offensive - but do those selected pictures that we saw - and were made to see - give us a FULL PICTURE of what is actually going on in the pound?

Was it truly a situation of a pound gone absolutely berserk that some quarters want us to believe? 

Can we make rational and complete judgments based on mobile phone cameras alone - without doing all the other vital investigative procedures? 

Such as calling in further troops like the other experts and powers-that-be to "save the canines from a modern-day Auswich or animal death camp "hellhole" - if it really is one, in fact, that even the devil would envy.

Let's look at the positive sides to what has already happened for now. 

First, I know for a fact that the SPCA had definitely visited the pound. 

Whether this was done with permission or not is now being disputed. 

However, according to Dr Razif Abidin, the director of health, permission was given with their blessings where the MPS told a representative that they did not require food as they had sufficient food - fish head with curry - to feed the dogs. 

He also claimed that the MPS had a yearly budget of dog food which they have been using to feed the dogs at the pound. 
 
No reports had ever highlighted this. 


Second, MPS Councillor Gunarajah George made his own independent visit and ended up with his own startling discoveries. 

In short, the pound was not as severe as reported but there are a lot of things that can be improved at the site. 

He, too, became the subject of brickbats by some because he didn't exactly see things the say some saw it and appearing to want literally want blood from the MPS staff. 

What is important now friends is our meeting with the MPS officials on the issue tomorrow. Please wish us all well - the animal NGOs and the MPS staff that we will be able to come together in a positive way to help each other to ultimately help the canines in the pound.   

aNt 
PET+BLOGSPOT!   


PET+BLOGSPOT is the official online blog of the Malaysian Animal-Assisted Therapy for the Disabled and Elderly Association (Petpositive).

We take pride in the fact that everything you read in our blog is ACCURATE, RELIABLE and THE LATEST.

Our blog which was first established in October 2007 currently has more than 35,000 hits. PET+BLOGSPOT is updated frequently.

Kindly take note that views expressed in this blog are not necessarily those of Petpositive.

You may also visit our Webpage by browsing: www.petpositive.com.my

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Fish head curry is NOT food suitable for dogs. The bones in the fish in themselves can lead to choking. The amount of salt too is detrimental to health. Who are you trying to kid that the dogs are being taken fed appropriately?

Unknown said...

Fish head is certainly not the curry that I would serve any of my dogs. But these are pound dogs that nobody wants. They are kept for one week and put down afterward. The MPS don't give them fish bones.

I did not say the food was the best choice. I merely tried to correct the misconceptions Some stories say that the dogs are being starved with no food and water. Others say only white rice. When I visited the pound, I saw the serve white rice with curry. The MPS says the canines prefer the rice to the dog kibble.

Anonymous said...

'But these are pound dogs that nobody wants.'why people always treat stray dogs with indifference !!!!!?????