Saturday, July 10, 2010

Ex MBPJ Councillor Michael Soon Launches His Blog

aNt's aNgle: Michael Soon Kwai Choy who served as Petaling Jaya City Councillor (MBPJ) for the past two years, launched his brand new blog last night. 

It is simply called Michael Soon

I was privileged to be the first person to read it and also to have added my comments in his blog.

Michael (second from left) was one of the councillors to give his staunch backing to have the first-ever animal-assisted therapy centre in PJ called the Petpositive Therapy Centre which is run by the Malaysian Animal-Assisted Therapy for the Disabled and Elderly Association or Petpositive.  

Here are the words that I keyed into Michael's blog last night:


"Dearest Michael, congratulations for setting up your long-awaited blog.

Finally, Malaysians and the world now have a rare and splendid chance to take a peek into your deepest thoughts and what makes your heart tick about the myriad of issues in high places as well as in ordinary lives.

You have been a great pal over the past two years in MBPJ as Councillor where I first got to know you.

I will never forget how we first met. It was you that came up and spoke to me.

I have learnt so, so much from you over the past 24-months.

The most important about integrity. 

I mentioned this out loud to everyone in my parting speech at our last Full Board meeting in MBPJ.

The area in which I will remember you most as Councillor in MBPJ is how you tried hard to maintain the professionalism in how we did things in the council.

You were like an unrelenting compass, reminding us constantly about the course and causes in which we need to take and keep our focus on.

When it was time to speak, you were never afraid to speak up.

And when you did, you almost always brought up different perspectives in our debates, helping all who heard you speak to see things from a bigger picture.

As a council, we all looked up to you in matters relating to accountability and good governance.

And although we had our differences on several points, I could never get upset or angry with you for long.

That is because anybody who knows you know that you are always a man with a great passion not only for the things you believe and say; but more importantly, for the things that you do.

Dear Michael, I wish you all the best in the next chapter of your exciting life and the start of your new blog.

I know that as its popularity increases, more and more people will stream into your blog. I know that I definitely will.

That's all, my dear friend. Have a blast!"


PET+BLOGSPOT

Here is Michael Soon's blog's maiden entry: 

Friday, July 9, 2010

Turbulent Times

Firstly, I wish to thank my friend Anthony Siva Balan who has been a great encourager for me to start my personal blog. I have had previously started two other blogs but never felt compelled to share my thoughts on cyberspace.

Anthony is a friend whom I met when I served in the MBPJ as a councillor from July 2008 until 6 July 2010. At a Selangor State function on Tuesday 6 July 2010, the Selangor Menteri Besar, YAB Tan Sri Khalid Ibrahim announced that I have been dropped as a councillor but "promoted" to become an Advisor in a State level 20 man-Advisory committee for councillors.

As reported in the national press, it was rather a bittersweet feeling for me. I was happy that my contributions as a councillor have been recognised by the MB himself but had the sad feeling of leaving behind the councillor post in MBPJ. In my sojourn in MBPJ, I have made many friends whom I have never met before I became a councillor. There are too many to list here but nevertheless, Derek, Anthony, Latheefa, Cynthia, Chan, Robert, Francis, Tang, Ahmad Yusof, Rama, Muz and Richard have all become bosom friends.

I met up with MB last Wed 7th July, and had a fruitful discussion with him on the role of an Advisor and the Advisory Committee. I have been tasked to draw up the terms of reference of the Advisory Committee and recommend changes to be made to strengthen this commitee.

Why did I call this period "Turbulent Times?" In the viccitudes of my life, I have been through a lot and the last three weeks have been extremely challenging. It was a period filled with intrigues, jealousies, betrayals and a great symphony of orchestrated lies but I was comforted by great heroes and heroine who came to my aid. Being a professional and not a politician, I was not used to the dirty business of politicking and experienced first hand the meaning of "the end justify the means".

I was reminded by Genesis 50v20 when Joseph told his brothers - "You intended to harm me, but God intended it for good". I will be entering a new phase of my life and as usual will give my all to public service in competency, accountability and transparency. I will be walking with trepidations but am assured that the Lord will be walking with me.

The Truth will set us free.

(Note: Michael Soon's blog address is www.michaelsoonkc.blogspot.com 
You may also CLICK HERE to get there.) 


PET+BLOGSPOT is the official online blog of the Malaysian Animal-Assisted Therapy for the Disabled and Elderly Association (Petpositive). Our contents are ACCURATE, RELIABLE and THE LATEST. We offer both local and foreign news on animals, disability and the elderly. PET+BLOGSPOT was first established in October 2007. Our hits since then is 45,000 hits and counting. PET+BLOGSPOT is updated daily. Kindly take note that views expressed in this blog are not necessarily those of PETPOSITIVE. You may also visit our Webpage by browsing: www.petpositive.com.my

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Truth Seeker said...

Thank you Anthony for your very kind remarks.

I was lucky because I started work in a British company where the culture was right. My English Chairman used to tell me, "An English gentleman means what he says and says what he means"

To some people especially unprincipled politicians, "integrity" comes in different shades and colours. It is just a slogan to entice gullible voters to support them.

Abraham Lincoln said, "You can fool some of the people all of the time, and all of the people some of the time, but you cannot fool all of the people all of the time"

My Lord said, "The truth will set us free"

God bless and have a nice weekend
July 9, 2010 9:07 PM

Anonymous said...

PKR What is happening?
When is our local election for Selangor?
Is it true the 3 most ethical n professional councillors in MPPJ will be replaced?
Pleaser don't transform into BN 2
No hope for Malaysia then...
Concerned Selangor resident